Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tiger Chase

"Trevor Immelman's win starts Tiger chase"


Just as I feared.... part of the flood of sycophantic waffle building up around this mediocre little South African golfer.
- Splash! Classy Immelame shows his composure under pressure on the 16th






No mention here of how crap "Immelame" played to miss four cuts already this year. The guff about "Hogan-like" makes me want to throw up, and if I hear "golf prodigy" again about a 28-year-old I'll chuck.

I confidently predict he will have a Majors record as glorious as Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Ian Baker-Finch and Steve Jones.

That's without including winners of the most non-Major of all, the USPGA Journeyman's Classic. Past winning lottery ticket holders there include such consistent performers as Shaun Micheel, Mark Brooks and especially the sylish colossus, Rich Beem (right).



Majors are a scarce resource, a rare delicacy wasted on 99% of the automatons that infest the Pro Tours. I see players like Colin Montgomery and Sergio Garcia branded as failures for not having a Major tucked away. Hence the pain I feel when I see the 2008 Masters go to.... sorry, what was his name again?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nottageek,

Your ranting struck a definite chord.

However, just be thankful it wasn't Brandt "I miss my mommy" Snedeker who ended up receiving the coveted emerald blazer from that other goliath of the game, 2007 Masters champ Zac Jimson. I mean Jim Johnson...or is it Jay Jackson? Whatever. The boy Snedeker is a wet blanket. At least Immelman had a tumor, which meant the Yankee journos, in their customary oily prose, had something to write about. Shame they missed the main point that Tiger played arguably his worst 72 holes in years and still finished second. No matter. I'm sure all of this will be covered in the all new issue of a certain Hong Kong-based golf publication. I hear it's going to be mega.

Unknown said...

A short footnote: how pleasing it was to see Mr Liang Wen-chong strut his stuff over the carpet like fairways of Augusta National. OK, so he played like absolute pap and his being there in the first place was highly questionable (just ask a certain Leeds supporter from Glasgow), but what the hey. Great to see the Middle Kingdom being represented by such a charming (and charitable) young man. He's much nicer than that moody Zhang character. If Liang was to run through the streets of London or Paris, torch in hand, people would be be cheering him all the way to Beijing. Definitely no goons or thugs in this post.